How To Buy, Store & Prepare Avocados.
I am a Canadian and I love ice hockey.
But do you know what I love more than ice hockey?
It’s avocados. I love them and can’t imagine my life without it.
Fun fact, did you know that avocados are also called “alligator pear”? 😀
- Healthy and glowing skin
- Healthiest source of natural fats out there
- Has all 18 essential amino acids your body needs to form a complete protein
- Are loaded with fibre
- Can lower cholesterol and triglyceride levels
- Avocado oil prevents hair loss and promotes hair growth
- Are loaded with antioxidants that can protect your eyes
- Can help in protecting you from cancer
- Avocado extract can help in relieving symptoms of arthritis
- Can help you lose weight
Let’s Buy Some Avocados
So, are you sold on making avocados part of your diet?
If yes, then Yay! It’s time for you to go and buy some but make sure that:
- They don’t feel soft because those ones might be overripe
- They don’t feel absolutely hard because those might not be ready
- Avocados don’t have any discoloured patches on the skin
Now, there are different types of avocados. But I personally prefer Hass avocados.
Although they don’t look as attractive as the smooth bright green ones, I find that those more flavorful.
If avocados aren’t quite ripe, then store them at room temperature for 2 – 3 days until they ripen.
One can keep them in a fruit bowl and if you want to speed up the ripening process, then place them in a paper bag in a warm place.
As a result, once they are ripe, you can store them in the fridge.
If you are looking to keep them for longer durations, then you can freeze avocados as pulp for up to 2 months. Just make sure to add 1 tbsp. of lemon juice per avocado to prevent discolouration.
When you cut avocados, they do discolour so don’t worry about that.
That’s why we will keep some lemon juice handy so that we can dip the avocado in it or use it to paint its surface area.
- The easiest way to cut avocado is lengthways, all the way around the avocado as far as the stone.
- Now, twist the two halves of avocado in opposite directions to separate them.
- Next, it’s time to take out the stone. Simply stick a fork or skewer into the base of the stone and ease it out gently.
One important thing to note is that avocados will turn black within a couple of hours. If you don’t use them so make sure you use the whole avocado in whatever you are cooking. Το serve slices of avocado, cut the slices before peeling.
You can fill the avocado cavity with mayonnaise, Avocado halves can be served with the cavity filled with:
- balsamic vinegar
- lime juice and salt
- or even bake an egg in it!
Lastly, avocado’s are full of nutrients, per avocado there are natural fats 21 g, proteins 2.7 g and fibres 9.2g . It is good fat, which has a healthy dose of monosaturated fat which might be good in lower bad cholesterol levels. Hence, eating avocado’s is very beneficial to one’s health.